Saturday, 15 November 2014

Don't let the Pigeon...




How much do little kids love the Pigeon?!  My grade one class cheers when I pull out one of Mo Willems' Pigeon books.  I was inspired by this Art Dish with MJ activity and used it during our safety unit.

We did a directed draw of the Pigeon.  Black oil pastel was used to trace over our pencil lines and yellow was used to colour in the beaks.  Then we painted our pigeons.  When dry we did a few touch ups where the paint may have blurred out some of our drawing.  Then students had to cut out their pigeon "in a bubble".  I do that occasionally due to the lack of cutting skills of many 5 and 6 year olds.  This way I can ensure that we won't lose half the pigeon in the process of cutting him out!





After brainstorming safety rules, each student chose one rule to print in a speech bubble.  Some examples were:
"Don't let the Pigeon talk to strangers."
"Don't let the Pigeon play with fire."
"Don't let the Pigeon stand on the chair"


1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy Pigeon artwork from little ones.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

You May Also Like

Followers